With Tyro, it's possible to recover some or all of your merchant service fees and/or terminal rental fees from your customers by enabling surcharging in the Tyro Merchant Portal and on your terminal. If enabled, however, it's important to understand how this Tyro feature affects the sale and refund workflows in Retail POS.
Surcharges in sales
When making a sale, your customers can see the payment due for the sale on the terminal's screen and they're automatically advised that a surcharge may apply. The customer can press the middle button under the screen to see the surcharge percentage that will apply depending on their card type. If they accept the surcharge, the payment they process at the terminal will include the payment due for the sale and the surcharge.
Once the payment is successful, however, Retail POS only records the payment that was due for the sale. The surcharge is handled by Tyro outside of Retail POS.
Surcharges in refunds
When refunding a sale, your customers can see the refund amount on the terminal's screen but the surcharge they paid for in the original sale aren't automatically included. To refund a surcharge in Retail POS, you need to create a non-inventory item in Retail Manager mode beforehand, name it something intuitive (e.g. surcharges) and make it non-taxable. By doing so, you can then add it to all subsequent refunds going forward, adjust the price to the original surcharge amount and easily account for it in your reports. This workflow is necessary because Retail POS is designed to prevent potentially fraudulent refunds that are greater than the original amount paid.
Once you've created a non-inventory item for Tyro surcharges, you can refund the original sale and surcharge by following the steps below. Ideally, the customer will have both the Lightspeed Retail sales receipt so you can find the original sale and the Tyro payment terminal receipt so you can know the surcharge they originally paid.
Lightspeed Retail sales receipt
Tyro payment terminal receipt
To refund the original sale and surcharge:
- From the main menu, tap Sales History.
- Scan the barcode or enter the Sale ID (last digits of the Ticket number following the 0s) on the sales receipt.
- Tap the Completed sale that you want to refund.
- Tap Refund.
- Select the items you want to refund and tap Refund.
- Tap the magnifying glass icon.
- Add the non-inventory item you created for Tyro surcharges to the sale.
- Tap ... to the right of the non-inventory item.
- In the Price field, enter the amount of the original surcharge on the terminal receipt and tap +/- to make it a negative amount.
Note: If your customer doesn't have the Tyro payment terminal receipt, you can view the surcharge in the Tyro Merchant Portal by searching the Tyro transaction reference. You can also calculate the surcharge by multiplying the refund total by the surcharge percentage for the card type they originally paid with. To view the surcharge percentage that your business charges by card type press Menu > 9 (Surcharge Rates) on the terminal.
- Tap Done.
- Tap Payments > Credit Card.
Note: If you're not refunding to a card, simply tap a payment type, enter an amount, tap Done and tap Finish Sale.
- Tap Refund Using Another Card > Refund.
- Tap Start Payment and process the card at the terminal.
- On the Tyro screen in Retail POS, tap YES to confirm that you've included the surcharge in the refund. The transaction will automatically cancel if you tap NO.
- Once the refund is approved, tap YES or NO depending on if you want to print a receipt.
- Tap Finish Sale.