You can process a sale in either POS mode or Manager mode.
In POS mode
1. Open a sale session.
You can either start a new sale session, or re-open an in-progress sale session that was not completed.
To start a new sale session: Tap New Sale from the main menu.
To open an in progress sale: Tap Sales History from the main menu, tap the In progress sale that you want to access, and then tap Reopen.
2. Add items to the sale.
You can also sell and recharge gift cards. See Selling and Recharging Gift Cards.
Locate the item:
- Scanning an item barcode: Scan the product barcode. Lightspeed Retail POS will search your inventory for a match. If there’s only one item match, the item is automatically added to the sale. If your scan yields more than one item, go to step 2. Otherwise, proceed to step 3.
- Searching for a product manually: Use the Lightspeed Retail POS Search screen. See Searching for products.
Add an item to the sale by tapping the + icon for the desired item. If the Search screen is set to Thumbnail mode, you must tap the desired item to access the Add to Sale icon.
NOTE: You can remove an item by left-swiping it and tapping Delete.
If required, adjust the item quantity by tapping the + or - icon.
- If you are selling a serialized item, below the item description tap Add Serial Number.
- Select the serial number: If serial numbers were previously added to a serialized item in Lightspeed Retail, tap the arrow icon to show all serial numbers associated to the item and tap a number.
- Scan the serial number: Tap the S/N field and scan the serial number barcode.
- Create a serial number: When you create a serial number it is automatically added to the item in Lightspeed Retail. To create a new serial number tap the S/N field and enter the serial number.
3. Modify the sale (optional).
You can modify specific items or the entire sale. If you apply sale parameters to the entire sale, you can override the parameters for an individual line item.
You can apply a discount to all line items in the sale, or change the employee that's associated to the entire sale.
Tap the Edit icon.
- Tap Discounts or Set Employee, and then tap the desired option.
Individual line items
You can change a line item's quantity, sell price, discount, associated employee, and set the item as either taxed or non-taxed.
Swipe left the line item that you want to modify, and then tap Edit.
Tap Quantity, Price, Discount, Tax Class, or Employee, and then tap the desired option, or tap the Taxed button to enable/disable the tax for the line item.
Any sale can be easily associated with a customer. It's useful to associate the sale with a customer to easily locate the sale for a refund, to perform a targeted marketing campaign, or for research purposes when you'd like to know which customers have purchased specific products.
NOTE: Depending on your settings, a customer may be required in order to process a sale using a specific payment type.
Tap the Add Customer icon.
Select a customer or add a new one:
Select an existing customer: Tap Select Customer to access your existing customers. To find your customer, swipe down to manually search them or enter the below criteria in the Search field. Once you find your customer, tap the + icon to add the customer to the sale.
- first or last name
- phone number (work, home, mobile, pager, or fax)
- email address
- value in customer's Custom field (used for loyalty identifiers for example)
Add a new customer: Tap New Customer, enter the customer details, and then tap Save. The phone number entered here is set as the customer’s home phone number in system.
NOTE: If the customer already exists, another entry will be added for the same customer. To avoid duplicate entries, we recommend searching for the customer before creating a new customer. If you have multiple entries for the same customer, you can merge them in Lightspeed Retail.
5. Process the payment.
You can use any of the payment types available in your account to process a payment.
NOTE: If you're using a MagTek iDynamo card reader, swiping a credit card from the Sale screen or Payment screen will automatically bring up the credit card payment screen without having to select the Credit Card payment type.
Tap the payment type, and then enter the payment. For detailed instructions on the various payment methods see Processing Payments.
NOTE: You can split the payment between different payment types. You can delete a pending payment by swiping the payment left, and then tapping Delete.
Tap Finish Sale to process the payment.
NOTE: If the Automatically Print Receipt option is enabled in the receipt printer settings (see Receipt Printer Setup), the receipt prints automatically when the sale is finalized.
6. Print or email receipt.
You can print a sale or gift receipt, or email the sale receipt to your customer. You can also do so for a completed sale, along with printing a full-page sale and gift receipts via AirPrint, from the Sales History screen (see About the Sales History screen).
NOTE: If the Automatically Print Receipt option is enabled in the receipt printer settings (see Setting up a Star TSP100 (LAN) on your iPad), the receipt prints automatically when the sale is finalized.
Once the payment is processed, choose one of the following:
- Print receipt: Tap Print Receipt to print the receipt.
- Email Receipt: Tap Email Receipt, enter the customer email address, and then tap Send.
- Print Gift Receipt: Tap Print Gift Receipt to print the receipt without the item prices and sale total.
In Manager mode
Tap Retail Manager from the main menu.
Tap Sales and process the sale as you would in the Retail Web POS. Click here to view the Retail Web POS documentation.