If you want to give the same discount or sales tax to a group of customers, you can add a customer type, and then assign the type to individual customers. When a customer with an associated type is attached to a sale, the discount and sales tax is automatically applied. You can always override the discount and sales tax during a sale.
As dollar discounts can be applied to individual line items in a sale only and not to the entire sale, only percent discounts can be assigned to a customer type. For information on creating percent discounts, go to Creating discounts.
NOTE: Customer-type discounts do not apply to items or labor that are non-discountable. See the Discounts Allowed setting in Item Details, or the No Discounts on Labor setting in General Options.
To add customer types
- From the main menu, click Customers > Customer Types.
- To create a new type, click + New Customer Type. To edit a type, click it.
- Enter a customer type Name.
- If applicable, select a pre-defined Discount.
- If applicable, select the Tax Category.
- Click Save Changes.