If you need to deactivate a gift card so it can no longer be used to pay for sales in your account, you can do so by canceling the gift card.
Canceling gift cards
- From the main menu, go to Customers > Gift cards.
Note: If you have Lightspeed eCom, you can also go to Customers > Gift cards from your back office.
- Search for your customer's gift card number or select it from the list. Searching for a customer's name to find a gift card is not supported at this time.
- Select the gift card number to open its details.
- At the top-right of the page, select Cancel gift card.
- Select Cancel gift card in the confirmation window.
Your customer's gift card now displays as Canceled and is permanently deactivated.
Transferring gift card balances
After canceling a customer's card, you can choose to move the remaining balance to a new card with a new code.
- On the canceled card's details page, click Transfer balance.
- In the pop-up window, enter a new gift card code (or leave it blank to auto-generate a new code) and enter the customer's email address.
Note: the amount field will be filled out with the remaining balance of the canceled card and cannot be changed. If you wish to add more funds to this balance, follow the instructions in our Selling and recharging gift cards article.
- Click Transfer balance.
The gift card that was canceled will now appear as Transferred on the gift card overview page.