We recommend refunding a transaction rather than just giving a refund, for record keeping, and to help eliminate fraud.
Issuing a refund or exchange from a transaction
- Find the transaction.
- Issue a refund or exchange.
To find the transaction
- Find the transaction by scanning your customer's receipt, searching for your customer's name or doing a search in the Lines report.
- Receipt: Every Lightspeed Retail sales receipt has a barcode. If your customer has their receipt, scan the barcode into the Item field in the register. The original transaction appears in the register in the Refund tab.
- Customer name: In a new sale, attach your customer and click the Edit button. In the left menu, click Sales and search for the item. Click the ID beside the item, and click the Refund button to open the transaction in the Refund tab of the register.
- Lines report: From the main menu, click Reports > Lines. In the date field, enter the date range of when the transaction occurred. You may have sold this item multiple times in the same day so be careful to select the correct transaction. In the ID field, you can also enter the last digits of the sales receipt's Ticket number. Browse the results to find the item and sale. Click the ID beside the item and click the Refund button to open the transaction in the Refund tab of the register.
To issue a refund
The register displays the original transaction with the items on the sale.
- If you are issuing a refund to a customer account: Make sure your customer is attached to the register. If not, search for your existing customer's name or click the +New button to create a new customer account. Click the Refund button next the returned items. Confirm that the refund's Total is correct and click Payment > Account. The Refund To Credit Account field will default to the refund's Total. Edit the amount if necessary. Click Refund > Finish Sale. The refund is now officially applied to your customer's credit account and the items are returned to your store's inventory.
- If you are issuing a regular refund: Click the Refund button next the returned items. The refund's Total on the right is calculated automatically and is negative, indicating it is due to your customer. Click Payment and click Max or enter an amount for the appropriate payment types. When the remaining Balance is 0, complete the refund and return the items to your inventory by clicking Finish Sale.
To issue an exchange
The register displays the original transaction with all the items on the sale. To add an item to the sale for exchange, add an item as you would for a normal sale.
- If the returned item value matches the value of the item given in exchange, you can finish the sale.
- If items given in exchange have a greater value than returned items, add a payment.
- If the items given in exchange have a lesser value than the returned items, select the payment type to return the remaining balance of the transaction to the customer.
To complete the exchange, click Finish Sale. There may be change due to the customer depending on the situation. Give the customer their receipt and items, and take the returned items.
To issue a refund without a transaction
- From the main menu, click Sales > Refund.
- To add the returned items to the refund, in the Items field, scan the items' barcodes or search for their names. Once added, the refund's Total on the right will calculate automatically and will be negative, indicating it is due to your customer.
- Click Payment and click Max or enter an amount for the appropriate payment types.
- When the remaining Balance is 0, complete the refund by clicking Finish Sale.