To import inventory items via our Retail Imports team, please refer to this article.
In Lightspeed Retail POS, you can add or update items and images in a number of different ways. In many cases, however, importing them in an XLSX or a CSV file is the fastest. This is especially true if:
- You're exporting inventory data from your previous point of sale (POS)
- You're familiar with spreadsheet applications like Google Sheets
- You have a large inventory
- Format your item import file to import your items into your Lightspeed Retail POS inventory.
- From the main menu, click Inventory > Import Items.
- If the Welcome to Item Imports modal displays, read the import information and click Continue.
- Click + New Import.
- Under SELECT FILE, drag and drop your import file. Alternatively, click Browse and select your import file.
- Select an import method (e.g. Create new items only).
- If you're updating existing items, select which field (e.g. System ID) in your item import file that your Retail POS account will match on to update your existing items correctly.
- Optionally, include your email address to be notified once your import file is reviewed and your import is done.
- Under MAP COLUMNS, your Retail POS account will automatically map the columns in your import file that it recognizes as compatible with Lightspeed Retail. If you have invalid columns in your import file, select compatible columns from the drop-downs.
- Select the Skip checkbox of columns you don't need to import.
- Click Review import. Your account will start reviewing your import file for formatting errors.
Note: If you have errors in your import file, please see Fixing errors in item import files.
- Review the inventory data under REVIEW IMPORT and ITEM PREVIEW:
NEW ITEMS Number of items that will be created. UPDATED ITEMS Number of items that will be updated. NEW VENDORS Number of new vendors that will be created. NEW BRANDS Number of new brands that will be created. NEW CATEGORIES Number of new categories that will be created. ITEMS WITH INVENTORY Number of new items that will be created and will have inventory to be added. TOTAL QUANTITY Total quantity of inventory that will be added to these new items. TOTAL COST Total cost of the inventory that will be added to these new items.
- If the inventory data looks correct, click Import items. Your items will start importing and the Import report will display once your import is done.
Your items should now be created or updated in your inventory. To make sure your inventory was imported correctly, we recommending reviewing your items and scanning them under Inventory > Item Search.
Adding labels to the queue
If you imported a QOH for your new items, you can click the Add Labels to queue for Items with Inventory button to create a label queue. This way, you can simply print your label queue from Inventory > Print Labels, glue the labels on your new items and start selling them. For more information, please see Printing labels.
Upload item images
If you imported the file names of your item images, you need to upload the image files to your Retail POS account to officially add them to your items. For more information, please see Importing images.
Download the item import file
For your record-keeping, the file that used for the import is stored in your Retail POS account. This way, you can download it at any time should you need to refer back to it for your business needs.