You can set up payment processing on Lightspeed Retail with our integrated payment processors. You must have an account with your payment processor and the payment processing hardware connected and installed before configuring payment processing.
NOTE: If you’re using a non-integrated processor, you don’t need to do this procedure as your external card reader or terminal is not connected to your Lightspeed Retail account. During a sale, you will manually enter an amount, swipe the card, and in the Lightspeed Retail payment screen, record that the customer is paying by credit card.
Getting your payment processing POS credentials
To set up integrated payment processing in Lightspeed Retail, depending on your merchant payment provider and region, you need these POS credentials. You can get them from your payment processor account, or you can contact your payment processor.
|Payment Processors||POS Credentials||Hardware Setup|
|Element Express (US)||
|Mercury Payment Services (US)||
Lightspeed Retail also supports the below merchant payment providers that do not require you to enter your POS credentials directly in your Lightspeed Retail account:
|Payment Processors||Hardware Setup|
|iZettle (Brazil, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Mexico, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Netherlands, and UK)
|Worldline (Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg)
Integrating your Lightspeed Retail with your payment processor
The below instructions are a general overview of how to integrate your payment processing. For instructions specific to your payment processor and hardware, click the links in the Hardware Setup column of the above table.
- On the main menu, click Settings > Payment Processing.
- Click Add a Payment Gateway.
- From the Gateway drop-down list, select your gateway type. The options for your gateway type will display.
- If applicable, in the Gateway Credentials and Receipt Details sections, enter the POS credentials you received from your gateway provider (see the above table):
- If you have a multi-store account, under Select Shops, select all the stores that you want to apply the gateway to.
- If applicable, under Security Options, enable Allow Credits if you want to be able to make a refund to a credit or debit card if a customer doesn't have a sales invoice.
NOTE: When you do this type of refund, you must swipe the card for the refund to take effect. Manually entering credit or debit card numbers is not supported.
- Under Credit Card Payment Mapping, for each of the credit and debit card types, select how the corresponding card type will appear on invoices and sales reports. For example, if you created a custom Visa payment type, selecting it from the Visa list will mark all Visa sales as "Visa". If you want to change the names for cards in Credit Card Payment Mapping, you have to have set up the credit card payment type in Settings > Payment Types, so the Credit/Debit button appears in Lightspeed Retail.
- Click Save.
- For you changes to take effect, sign out of Retail POS and sign back in.
After you configure a payment processor and setup your card reader or terminal, test your integrated credit card processing by charging the credit card a minimal amount and then voiding the charge.
If you're using the TriPOS, Vantiv (US) or Vantiv (Canada), removing a payment from an in progress sale will void it and refund your debit or credit card. However, voiding a completed sale processed by one of these gateways will delete the sale and its associated payment from your reporting but it won't officially refund your debit or credit card. To return items to inventory and officially refund your card, we recommend refunding the sale instead of voiding it. Instructions on how to refund vary depending on if you're using a computer or the Retail POS app on your iPad.
- From the main menu, click Sales > New Sale.
- Click Misc to add a miscellaneous charge, and enter a price of 0.05.
- Clear the Tax checkbox.
- Click Save.
- Click Payment.
- Click Credit/Debit and swipe a credit card through your reader.
- Click Finish Sale.
- From the main menu, click Reports > All Transactions.
- Click the ID number for the 0.05 transaction.
- Click the Void Sale tab.
- Click the Void Sale button and confirm the action.
Viewing the Details section of credit card payments is important for our retailers to understand how the payments were collected. Having this information on hand is also helpful in the event of a credit card dispute. With these needs in mind, the Details section of credit card payments is designed to include the following:
- Payment Summary: Main information of the completed payment such as the Payment Type and Customer for example.
- Transaction Details: Detailed information of the integrated payment such as the Card Type and Cardholder Name.
- Customer Signature: Customer's digital signature that authorized the integrated payment.
- Gateway Response: Integrated payment's communication code to better understand and troubleshoot the response returned from the gateway.
To view the payment Details of a transaction:
- From the main menu, click Reports.
- From the Payments section, click the Received report.
- From the payment type drop-down, select Credit Card or Debit Card.
NOTE: If you created custom payment types for your gateways Credit Card Payment Mapping, your payment type names may vary.
- Enter your other search criteria and adjust the available filters as needed.
- Click Search.
- To open a payment, click its blue ID number.
- From the left menu, click Details.
NOTE: The above user interface applies to accounts using Vantiv (US), Vantiv (Canada), iZettle, Worldline, Tyro or Barclaycard (in beta) as their payment processor and will apply to all accounts in the near future. Also, depending on your payment processor, some fields may vary.