In Lightspeed Retail, you can configure your payment processing with anyone of our integrated payment processors, provided they're supported in your region. As a general overview, doing so involves the following steps:
- Getting your payment processing POS credentials
- Integrating your Lightspeed Retail with your payment processor
- Testing your payment processing
- Viewing your payment details
Before you begin, you'll need to have an account with one of our integrated payment processors and purchase a supported credit card terminal or card swiper. To view our supported payment processors and hardware for your region, please consult the table in Step 1. You can also click the links in the Hardware Setup of the table for more specific instructions on how to configure your payment processing with a particular payment provider and hardware setup.
NOTE: If you’re using a non-integrated processor, you don’t need to do this procedure as your external card reader or terminal isn't connected to your Lightspeed Retail account. During a sale, you'll manually enter an amount at your terminal or card swiper, process the card, and in the Lightspeed Retail payment screen, record the amount that the customer payed by credit card.
1. Getting your payment processing POS credentials
Depending on your payment processor and region, you need the POS credentials below. You can get them from your payment processor account or by contacting your payment processor.
|Payment Processors||POS Credentials||Hardware Setup|
|Vantiv triPOS (US)||
|Element Express (US)||
|Mercury Payment Services (US)||
||Miura M010 (iPad)|
||Miura M010 (iPad)|
Lightspeed Retail also supports the below payment processors that don't require you to enter your POS credentials directly in your Lightspeed Retail account:
|Payment Processors||Hardware Setup|
|iZettle (Brazil, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Mexico, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Netherlands, and UK)|
|Worldline (Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg)|
2. Integrating your Lightspeed Retail with your payment processor
The below instructions are a general overview of how to integrate your payment processing. For instructions specific to your payment processor and hardware, click the links in the Hardware Setup column of the table in Step 1.
- From the main menu, click Settings > Payment Processing.
- Click Add a Payment Gateway.
- From the Gateway drop-down list, select your payment processor. The options for your payment processor display.
- If applicable, in the Gateway Credentials and Receipt Details sections, enter the POS credentials you received from your payment processor (see the table in Step 1):
- If you have a multi-store account, under Select Shops, select all the stores that you want to apply the gateway to.
- If applicable, under Security Options, enable Allow Credits if you want to be able to make a refund to a credit or debit card if a customer doesn't have a sales invoice.
NOTE: When you do this type of refund, you must swipe the card for the refund to take effect. Manually entering credit or debit card numbers is not supported.
- If applicable, under Allow Partial Approvals, enable Allow Partial Approvals if you want to be able to partially approve a payment and charge the maximum available amount if your customer's card has insufficient credit or funds to cover the full payment.
- Under Credit Card Payment Mapping, for each of the credit and debit card types, select how the corresponding card type will appear on invoices and sales reports. For example, if you created a custom Visa payment type, selecting it from the Visa list will mark all Visa sales as "Visa". If you want to change the names for cards in Credit Card Payment Mapping, you have to have set up the credit card payment type in Settings > Payment Types, so the Credit/Debit button appears in Lightspeed Retail.
- Click Save.
- For you changes to take effect, sign out of Retail account and sign back in.
After you configure a payment processor and setup your card reader or terminal, test your integrated credit card processing by charging the credit card a minimal amount and then voiding the charge.
If you're using the Lightspeed Payments (beta) or Vantiv triPOS gateways, removing a payment from an in progress sale will void it and refund your debit or credit card. However, voiding a completed sale processed by one of these gateways will delete the sale and its associated payment from your reporting but it won't officially refund your debit or credit card. To return items to inventory and officially refund your card, we recommend refunding the sale instead of voiding it. Instructions on how to refund vary depending on if you're using a computer or the Retail POS app on your iPad.
- From the main menu, click Sales > New Sale.
- Click the Misc menu button to add a miscellaneous charge.
- Enter 0.05 in the Price field.
- Clear the Tax checkbox.
- Click Save.
- Click Payment > Credit/Debit.
- Process a credit card at your terminal or card swiper.
- Click Finish Sale.
- From the main menu, click Reports > All Transactions.
- Click the ID number for the 0.05 transaction.
- Click the Void Sale tab.
- Click the Void Sale button. You're greeted with a warning message.
- Once you've read and understood the warning, click Void Sale.
Viewing the Details section of credit card payments is important to understand how the payments were collected. Having this information on hand is also helpful in the event of a credit card dispute. With these needs in mind, the Details section of credit card payments is designed to include the following:
- Payment Summary: Main information of the completed payment such as the Payment Type and Customer for example.
- Transaction Details: Detailed information of the integrated payment such as the Card Type and Cardholder Name.
- Customer Signature: Customer's digital signature that authorized the integrated payment.
- Gateway Response: Integrated payment's communication code to better understand and troubleshoot the response returned from the gateway.
To view the payment Details of a transaction:
- From the main menu, click Reports.
- From the Payments section, click the Received report.
- From the payment type drop-down, select Credit Card or Debit Card.
NOTE: If you created custom payment types for your gateways Credit Card Payment Mapping, your payment type names may vary.
- Optionally, enter your other search criteria and adjust the available filters to refine your search.
- Click Search.
- To open a payment, click its blue ID number.
- From the left menu, click Details.
NOTE: The above user interface applies to accounts using Vantiv triPOS, Vantiv (US), Vantiv (Canada), iZettle, Worldline, Tyro or Barclaycard (in beta) as their payment processor and will apply to all accounts in the near future. Also, depending on your payment processor, some fields may vary.