Master orders are a powerful way to create and manage purchase orders for different vendors and shops from one central location.
Purchase orders that are created with a master order ship to the location of the shop that places the master order. Because of this, master orders are used by businesses with a warehouse or distribution center that stocks merchandise for shops and transfers items to individual shops. Single-shop businesses can use master orders to easily manage purchase orders for multiple vendors.
For how to use the master orders for multi-store centralized purchasing, go to About centralized purchasing for multi-stores.
Main steps in the master order workflow
- Create a master order and add items to it (see below for more information).
- Assign the master order items to purchase orders (see below for more information).
- Submit purchase orders to vendors (click here for more information).
- Add received items to inventory (click here for more information).
- In a multi-store account, transfer items to satellite shops (click here for more information).
1. To create a master order
1. From the main menu, click Inventory > Master Order.
- The Master section is where you add items to the master order, and assign the items in the list to purchase orders. Items listed on the Master section have been added to the master order but are not yet assigned to purchase orders.
- The Purchase Orders section lists the open and not yet ordered purchase orders assigned to the selected shop. Purchase orders that are from a master order are automatically assigned to the selected shop.
- The Transfers section lists items that are on not yet sent transfer requests for your shop, and includes the current stock in your shop and the requested amount.
2. To assign items to purchase orders, you first add them to a master order. You can add items to a master order:
- by reorder points
- by transfer requests (applicable only to multi-store accounts)
NOTE: After you add an item to the master order list, you can adjust the order quantity using the ORDER QTY field.
|To manually add items||
Search the items across all shops and select items to add to the master order.
To add items manually, under Add Item To Master Order, enter the item description and click + Add Item.
If only one item matches your search, the item is automatically added. Otherwise, a list appears from which you can select items.
NOTE: To display your complete list of items, click + Add Item with a blank search field.
|To add items by reorder points||
If you’ve set item reorder points and reorder levels for the currently selected shop, you can add the items that have reached their reorder points by clicking Add Reorders under Add By Reorder Points. You can limit the items that are added by selecting the corresponding Category.
NOTE: Only items that have reached their reorder points in the currently selected shop are added. Items that have reached their reorder points in other shops are not added.
|To add items by transfer requests||
If your shop has transfer requests from any of your satellite shops, you can add the transfer request items to a master order. When you add a transfer request, the items in the request are added to a master order. On the left menu, click Transfers to view items that are currently on open transfer requests.
For how to create a transfer request go to Transferring inventory.
Under Add Transfer Request, select a transfer request from the list and click + Add Transfer. The request’s items are automatically added to the master order.
NOTE: To avoid duplicate transfer request entries, make sure that you add a transfer request only once.
2. To assign items to purchase orders
After you add items to a master order, you can assign them to new or existing purchase orders. Items are assigned to purchase orders based on the item’s vendor.
- From the left menu, click Purchase Orders to view the current purchase orders.
- From the left menu, click Masters.
- Below Assign Items To Purchase Orders, select an Assignment method:
- Use Open Orders Assignments: Assigns items to open purchase orders for the same vendor. If there are no open orders for a vendor, the items with that vendor are not assigned to purchase orders.
- Create New Orders: Assigns items to new purchase orders by vendor.
- A specific open order: Select a specific purchase order to assign items with the same vendor to the purchase order.
NOTE: If you choose Use Open Orders Assignments or Create New Orders, you can use the Vendor filter to assign only the items associated with a specific vendor.
- Click Assign Items To Orders.
- 3. Submit purchase orders to vendors (click here for more information).
- 4. Add received items to inventory (click here for more information).
- 5. In a multi-store account, transfer items to satellite shops (click here for more information).