To import inventory items via our Retail Imports team, please refer to this article.
When you upload your import file to your Retail POS account and click Review import, your account starts reviewing your import file for formatting errors. If there are any formatting errors in your import file, your account tells you how many errors your file contains and how to fix each of them. It does this by creating a version of your import file with two additional columns that you can download and upload again.
- Errors: Lists all of the columns that are incorrectly formatted for each item (row).
- Suggested Fixes: Provides suggestions for fixing the error(s).
Here's an example:
To fix errors in your item import file:
- Click Download and fix. This automatically downloads a copy of your item import file with the two additional Errors and Suggested Fixes columns.
- Open your import file in a spreadsheet application (e.g. Google Sheets).
Note: If you're planning to edit your import file in Excel, please see Opening and saving item import files with Excel to avoid data-breaking issues.
- Fix the corresponding errors according to the given information and suggestions in the Errors and Suggested Fixes columns.
- Save your import file as a CSV or XLSX. We recommend the XLSX format to avoid data-breaking issues.
- Under SELECT FILE, drag and drop your updated import file. Alternatively, click Browse and select your import file.
- Select an import method (e.g. Create new items only).
- Select which field (e.g. System ID) in your item import file that your Retail POS account will match on to create or update your items correctly.
- Optionally, include your email address to be notified once your import file is reviewed and your import is done.
- Under MAP COLUMNS, your Retail POS account will automatically map the columns in your import file that it recognizes as compatible with Lightspeed Retail POS. If you have invalid columns in your import file, select compatible columns from the drop-downs.
- Click Review import. Your account will start reviewing your updated import file for formatting errors again. If your import file still has errors, repeat the above steps.
- Review the inventory data under REVIEW IMPORT and ITEM PREVIEW:
NEW ITEMS Number of items that will be created. UPDATED ITEMS Number of items that will be updated. NEW VENDORS Number of new vendors that will be created. NEW BRANDS Number of new brands that will be created. NEW CATEGORIES Number of new categories that will be created. ITEMS WITH INVENTORY Number of new items that will be created and will have inventory to be added. TOTAL QUANTITY Total quantity of inventory that will be added to these new items. TOTAL COST Total cost of the inventory that will be added to these new items.
- If the inventory data looks correct, click Import items. Your items will start importing and the Import report will display once your import is done.
Your items should now be created or updated in your inventory. To make sure your inventory was imported correctly, we recommending reviewing your items and scanning them under Inventory > Item Search.
Under More actions for the imported items, you can perform the following actions:
- Add labels to the queue
- Upload item images
- Download the item import file
Add labels to the queue
If you imported a QOH for your new items, you can click the Add Labels to queue for Items with Inventory button to create a label queue. This way, you can simply print your label queue from Inventory > Print Labels, glue the labels on your new items and start selling them. For more information, please see Printing labels.
Upload item images
If you imported the file names of your item images, you need to upload the image files to your Retail POS account to officially add them to your items. For more information, please see Importing item images.
Download the item import file
For your record-keeping, the file that used for the import is stored in your Retail POS account. This way, you can download it at any time should you need to refer back to it for your business needs.