✅ New - These instructions only apply to the new Lightspeed gift card version.
Refunding a sale to a gift card is essentially the same as doing an exchange. It involves:
- Adding the item(s) your customer wants to return to the REFUND tab
- Adding a gift card of the same value to the SALE tab
Once you finish the sale, the SALE and REFUND tabs will balance out and the refund will be added to the gift card. To illustrate, here are the step-by-step instructions:
- From the main menu, select Sales > Refund.
- Scan your customer's receipt. Alternatively, find the original sale in the sales history view.
- In the REFUND tab, select Refund next to the item(s) your customer is returning.
- In the SALE tab, select Gift Card.
- In the Custom amount field, enter the same amount as the refund.
- Optionally, enter a gift card code and your customer's email address.
- If you entered an email address, select your customer's preferred language.
- Select Add to sale.
- Select Payment. The register will calculate the difference between the SALE and REFUND tabs. The Total amount will be $0.00 as the refund amount and gift card amount should balance out.
- Select Finish Sale.
The sale is now officially refunded to the gift card. An email that includes the gift card code and amount is also sent to your customer if you entered their email address during checkout.