Lightspeed Subscriptions works with Lightspeed Payments and Lightspeed Retail to give you the tools you need to setup and manage recurring monthly billing. Whether you're shipping monthly packages or collecting membership fees, Subscriptions will handle payment collection for you.
With Subscriptions you can:
- create a plan
- sell a subscription
- manage existing subscriptions
Contact your account manager to inquire about adding Lightspeed Subscriptions to your account.
Activating your account
Lightspeed Subscriptions requires that you use Lightspeed Payments. Once Subscriptions has been added to your account it will appear in Lightspeed Retail's main menu. When you navigate to Subscriptions for the first time you will be asked to select the payment type to use for all recurring billing.
You can use credit card or you can create a new payment type to distinguish recurring payments in your reporting. To change the payment type used, navigate to Subscriptions > Settings and use the drop-down menu to select a different payment type, then click save.
Creating a plan
Before you can sign up customers for subscriptions, you'll need to create a plan to subscribe them to. To do so:
- Navigate to Subscriptions > Plans.
- Click Create Plan.
- Enter a Name for this plan.
- Use the drop-down menu to select the Interval between billings for this plan.
- Click Add product to add items to your plan:
- Use the search bar to find items to add to the plan.
- Modify the default price the item will be sold at as part of the plan.
- Modify the quantity of the item included in the plan.
- Toggle shipments on if the plan includes items that will be shipped to the customer.
Note: This will automatically create a shipment order in Lightspeed Retail each time the recurring sale is completed. You will be able to access the shipment order under Inventory > Shipping.
- Optionally, associate a customer type with the plan.
Note: Customers subscribing to this plan will automatically be assigned to that customer type, allowing you to identify them for the purposes of reporting or assigning price rules or discounts.
- Use the drop-down menu to define the duration of the plan:
- Rolling: The subscription will continue indefinitely until it is cancelled.
- Fixed: A subscription will end automatically after the number of intervals you define.
If you are using a plan to collect recurring membership fees, create a non-inventory item in your inventory and add that item to the plan.
Selling a subscription
Once you have created a plan, you can begin selling subscriptions to that plan.
To sell a subscription:
- Navigate to Subscriptions > New subscription (+).
- Select customer, begin entering the name of the existing customer you wish to sell the subscription to, then select that customer from the list of suggestions.
- Under Select plan, begin entering the name of the existing plan you wish to sell to the customer, then select the plan from the list of suggestions.
- Under select payment method, click Add credit card.
- Select an existing card or enter new credit card information and click Choose.
- Click subscribe.
A confirmation email will be sent to your customer once their subscription has been created.
As you fill out information, Lightspeed Retail will notify you if any required information in the customer's profile is missing.
Click View to access the customer's profile and fill in any missing information. Lightspeed Retail will similarly ensure that the credit card information being entered is valid, and will securely store that information for future billing.
Once a subscription to a plan exists, it will automatically generate a completed sale (and if appropriate, a shipping order) for the items included in the plan at the specified intervals for the customer attached. The shop location and register that were used to create the subscription are used for these sales. The sale is not created if the last payment failed.
Managing existing subscriptions
You can review and make changes to any existing subscriptions at any time. To do so, navigate to Subscriptions > Subscriptions.
Subscriptions can be filtered by their status, and Lightspeed Retail will call attention to any subscriptions that are past due on their payments.
For each subscription, you will see:
- the name of the customer
- the status of the subscription
- scheduled: a subscription that is set to begin on a future date.
- active: a subscription that is currently ongoing.
- expired: a subscription that has reached the end of its duration.
- canceled: a subscription that has been manually canceled before running its course.
- past due: a subscription with one or more failed payments.
- the name of the plan being subscribed to
- when the subscription was created
To manually cancel an active subscription:
- click on the icon.
- Select when you want the subscription to end:
- immediately: the subscription is ended, there will be no future recurring charges, and if a customer type was associated with the subscription, it will be removed from the customer's profile.
- at the end of the period: the subscription will remain active for the remainder of the billing period, there will be no future recurring charges, and if a customer type was associated with the subscription, it will be removed from the customer's profile after the current billing period has elapsed.
- Click confirm.
You can create a new subscription by clicking Create subscription or export your data by clicking Export.
You can click on any given subscription to see more details about it.
You will see:
- the payment history for this subscription
- the items included in the subscription
- when the next payment is scheduled to take place
- the amount that will be due when the next payment is scheduled to take place
- the customer associated with the subscription
- the plan they are subscribed to
- the brand, last 4-digits, and expiry date of the credit card on file
- the amount billed per interval
- when the subscription was created
- when the subscription started
- the billing interval for the subscription
- when the subscription is scheduled to end
- any customer type associated with the subscription
You can click on the sales ID of any successful payment to see the transaction details for that payment.
On this page you can also change the credit card that will be used for future billing or retry a failed payment.
To change the credit card on file:
- Click on the pencil icon next to the card information in the summary section of the subscription.
- Choose another credit card or add a new one.
- Click choose.
Once updated, all future billing will be charged to the new credit card.
If a payment fails, Lightspeed Retail will reattempt to charge the credit card on file three times:
- once after 3 days
- once after 5 days
- once after 7 days
To manually retry a failed payment, click retry payment on the subscription details page. Lightspeed Retail will immediately attempt to charge the credit card on file. If the payment is successful, the subscription's status is automatically adjusted and the corresponding sale (and if appropriate, shipping order) is generated.