You can use partial refunds as a way to refund a portion of a line in an order. For example:
- A customer's order contains three lines:
- T-shirt – $20
- Shorts – $50
- Shipping – $15
If you needed to refund $7.50 of the shipping cost, you would complete a partial refund.
- A customer purchased a product online valued at $100. Since they qualified for a discount that was not available online, you need to provide a $20 refund.
- A customer ordered a large number of the same product and you want to provide a bulk-order discount per item. You would complete a partial refund to change the price per item.
When you refund the full value of a line in an order, it is not considered a partial refund. For instructions on how to refund a full line, refer to our Refunding eCom orders article.
For partial refunds with Lightspeed Payments, refer to our Refunding orders for Lightspeed Payments article.
To partially refund an order:
- Issue a custom refund through the payment provider's website. To do this, follow the steps in the issue a refund section of this guide.
- Login to your eCom account.
- Navigate to Orders
- Click on the order you just refunded.
- Select More > Duplicate > OK.
Note: you will now be working in the duplicated order.
- Click Edit beside the line you wish to edit and adjust the price accordingly.
- Click Save.
- Click Convert to Order.
- In the dialogue box, click Convert to Order.
- In the Payment section, confirm the new invoice was created by making note of the invoice number and click Mark as Paid.
- Navigate to Orders and click on the original order.
- Click Cancel Order.
Note: you can notify your customer that the order was canceled by clicking the Notify customer? checkbox.
- Click Cancel this order.