Prevent chargebacks and fees by reading the Lightspeed Payments instructions.
The instructions below are for all payment providers except Lightspeed Payments in the United States and Canada.
Partial refunds occur when a way to refund a portion of a line in an order. For example:
- A customer's order order contains these three lines T-shirt – 20 USD, Shorts – 50 USD and Shipping – 15 USD. You need to refund 7.50 USD of shipping.
- A customer purchased a product online valued at 100 USD. Since they qualified for a discount that was not available online, you need to provide a 20 USD refund.
When you refund the full value of a line in an order, it is not considered a partial refund. For more information about refunding lines on an eCom order, click here.
To partially refund an order:
- Issue a refund through the payment provider's website. For more information how to do this, click here. Proceed to the next step once done. Do not create a credit invoice.
- Login to your Retail account.
- Open the transaction you need to refund:
- Click Reports.
- Under Sales & Refunds click Totals.
- Locate the transaction by filtering the results.
- Click on the Transaction ID.
- Click Refund.
- Under the Sale number, click Refund for every product you will need to complete a partial refund.
- Click Misc. to add a Miscellaneous charge:
- Calculate the partial refund total.
For example, you want to provide $20 partial refund off of $100 order.
Add the amount for a partial refund in the Price field of the Misc. charge with a negative sign. For example, to offer a $20 partial refund, enter -80 (negative eighty) beside Price.
- Uncheck Tax and click Save.
- Click Payment.
- Click Max beside cash and click Finish Sale.
- To correct the payment type, open the new partial refund transaction by following Partial refunds - Step 3.
- In the sidebar, click Payments.
- In the dropdown menu that says Cash, select the payment type that matches the payment provider in eCom.