The iZettle Reader 2 is an EMV-enabled payment terminal that takes chip & PIN and contactless debit and credit card payments, as well as payments through Samsung Pay, Apple Pay and Google Pay. It connects to the Retail POS app and your iPad via low-energy Bluetooth.
This article explains how to:
- Configure your Retail account to process payments with iZettle
- Set up your iZettle Reader 2 payment terminal on your iPad
This setup is only available to merchants in the United Kingdom and the Netherlands. The main steps involved are:
- Setting your location and currency
- Configuring your iZettle gateway
- Connecting the iZettle Reader 2
- Processing a test transaction
Before you begin
- Set up an account for your business with iZettle.
- Purchase an iZettle Reader 2 payment terminal from iZettle.
- Make sure that you've received your iZettle Reader 2. If for any reason you haven't received it, please contact iZettle.
- For eight hours of active use, fully charge the iZettle Reader 2 with a micro USB cable or the iZettle Dock 2.
1. Set your location and currency
To process payments with iZettle, the location of your Retail account needs to be set to the United Kingdom or the Netherlands and its currency set to GBP £ (pound sterling) or EUR € (euro). To do so:
- Sign in to the Retail POS app.
- From the main menu, tap Retail Manager > Settings.
- Tap General Options.
- Under Location Customization, select the following:
- Location: United Kingdom or Netherlands
- Currency: GBP £ or EUR €
- Tap Save Changes.
2. Configure your iZettle gateway
Next, you need to configure your iZettle gateway in the Retail POS app.
- From the main menu, tap Settings > Payment Processing.
- Tap + Add a Payment Gateway.
- From the Gateway drop-down, select iZettle. The settings for the gateway display.
- In the Configuration name field, enter a name for your gateway.
- If you have a multi-store account, under Select Shops, select all the shops that will use the iZettle gateway.
- Under Credit Card Payment Mapping, select how the credit and debit card types will appear on your receipts and reports. For example, if you have a custom Visa payment type, selecting it from the Visa drop-down will mark all Visa payments as Visa instead of Credit on your receipts and reports. To assign custom payment types (e.g. Visa) from these drop-downs, however, you need to add them in Settings > Payment Types beforehand.
- Tap Save.
3. Connect the iZettle Reader 2
Once your iZettle gateway is set up, log in to your iZettle account and connect the iZettle Reader 2 in the Retail POS app.
- Tap the credit card icon at the bottom of the main menu.
- In the Payment Terminal panel, tap iZettle Settings.
- Enter your iZettle credentials and tap Log in.
- Tap Card readers > Connect card reader > iZettle Reader 2.
- To power on the iZettle Reader 2, press the power button on the top-right corner. Its battery status and last three digits of its serial number display onscreen.
- Under DETECTED CARD READERS, tap the iZettle Reader 2 that has the same last three digits as the iZettle Reader 2 in front of you. The Retail POS app starts trying to connect to the iZettle Reader 2.
- Compare the number in the Retail POS app to the one on the screen of your iZettle Reader 2.
- To confirm that the numbers match, tap Confirm in the Retail POS app.
- Press the green checkmark button on the iZettle Reader 2.
Your iZettle Reader 2 should now display Insert card on its screen. It should also be officially connected and listed in the Card readers modal of the Retail POS app along with the following information:
- Battery level
- Reader version
- Bluetooth version
If a software update is available for your iZettle Reader 2, we recommend tapping Update card reader.
4. Processing a test transaction
Now that your iZettle Reader 2 is connected to the Retail POS app, it's time to process a test transaction.
- From the main menu, tap New Sale.
- Tap + > Miscellaneous Charges.
- In the Price field, enter 1.00.
- Tap Add.
- Tap Card.
- Process the credit card on the iZettle Reader 2.
- Tap Allow in the following alert:
The Payment modal confirms that the payment is approved and closes automatically.
- On the Credit Card screen, tap Finish Sale.
Congratulations! You're now ready to accept credit card payments from your customers with iZettle.