If you have items in your inventory that are defective or damaged, that you no longer carry, or if you've mistakenly added items to your inventory because you've received the wrong items or more items than you ordered, Lightspeed Retail's Vendor Returns provide a streamlined workflow for managing, tracking, and reporting on inventoried items that are returned to your vendors.
Item quantities returned using Vendor Returns are automatically removed from your inventory. You can generate reports on returned inventory, and export the data to QuickBooks Desktop for accurate cost accounting.
If you receive defective or damaged items, wrong items, or more items than you ordered, we recommend that you do not add these items to your Lightspeed Retail inventory when checking in purchase order items. This prevents having to adjust item quantities or account for return costs. Instead, set the items aside and contact your vendor to coordinate a return shipment outside of Lightspeed Retail. However, if you've already added these items to your inventory, Lightspeed Retail's Vendor Returns let you automatically adjust item quantities and account for return costs.
A Return to Vendor workflow has two main steps:
- Creating the return to vendor order.
- Finalizing the return to vendor order.
To create a return to vendor order
From main menu, click Inventory > Vendor Return.
Click +New Vendor Return.
Select the shop you’re returning the item from, the vendor you’re returning the item to, and enter your vendor’s return authorization Reference # (RMA, RA, or RGA). You can optionally include a note for the return.
- Click Save Changes.
- Enter your vendor information.
- Add the items to return. You can scan the item or search for the item using the Item Search field. You can remove a purchase order for a vendor return item by clicking the X PO button.
The item list shows the item vendor ID, quantity to return, cost per unit, and total cost. If the item was acquired from a purchase order in Lightspeed Retail, the most recent purchase order that contains the item is automatically selected. This is done to ensure the correct accounting of costs. By default, the unit cost is taken from the associated purchase order. Otherwise, the cost is taken from the default item details. You can edit these item return details:
- Select a different purchase order: If the item to return did not originate from the purchase order that appears for the item, click the PO button to select a different purchase order. If you change purchase orders, the unit cost changes accordingly.
- Specify a reason for the return: Select a reason for the return. To create custom reasons go to Creating vendor return reasons.
- Modify the quantity: Adjust the quantity to return.
- Modify the cost: The item cost is automatically taken from either the associated purchase order or the default item details. You can modify the cost if required.
If applicable, under Costs, enter the return Shipping cost, or Other miscellaneous negative or positive values, such as restocking fees or vendor chargebacks. The amounts you enter are added or subtracted from the total Return Value.
NOTE: The item, shipping, and other costs are recorded for exporting to QuickBooks Desktop. See Exporting vendor return data to QuickBooks Desktop.
- Click Save Changes.
Review the information and click Print Packing Slip to print a full page detailed packing slip that will be included with your return shipment.
Click Send Products to Vendor when you’re ready to ship the items back to your vendor. This marks the order as Sent in your Lightspeed Retail system and adjusts your inventory accordingly. You can finalize the order by clicking Mark as Closed, or wait for confirmation from your vendor before finalizing the order.
NOTE: Return to vendor data is available in reports after an order is sent. See Reporting on return to vendor data.
To finalize a return to vendor order
When your vendor processes a sent Vendor Return, you can finalize it and mark it as Closed.
From the main menu, click Inventory > Vendor Return.
In the list click the sent order you want to finalize.
- Click Mark as Closed to finalize the order.
NOTE: You can undo Vendor Returns by clicking the grey Reopen button on the top right. The items' return quantities will go back in your inventory.