You can create discounts that you can apply to sales and customers. A discount in Lightspeed Retail can have either a dollar amount or percentage. You can apply dollar discounts to individual items, and not to an entire sale. You can apply percentage discounts to line items, sales and customers.
To create a percentage discount to cover a customer's sales tax, use the equation:
r/(1 + r) = x
where r is your sales tax rate and x is the discount percentage that is required to make the sale tax-free for your customer.
For example, a sale taxed at 8% is inputted as 0.08/(1 + 0.08) = x and the discount percentage (x) is 0.074 or 7.4%.
To create a discount
- From the main menu, click Settings > Discounts> + New Discount.
- From Type, select either Dollar or Percent.
NOTE: Dollar discounts can to be applied only to individual items and not to an entire sale.
- Click Save Changes to display the settings for the type of discount you're creating.
- Enter a discount name.
- Enter the discount amount in percentage or dollar.
- Select Require Customer to require that a customer is attached to a sale for the discount to be applied.
- Click Save.