You can create discounts that you can apply to sales and customers. A discount in Lightspeed Retail can have either a fixed dollar amount or be a percentage discount. You can apply fixed discounts to individual items, but not to an entire sale. You can apply percentage discounts to line items, sales and customers.
To create a percentage discount to cover a customer's sales tax, use the equation:
r/(1 + r) = x
where r is your sales tax rate and x is the discount percentage that is required to make the sale tax-free for your customer.
For example, a sale taxed at 8% is inputted as 0.08/(1 + 0.08) = x and the discount percentage (x) is 0.074 or 7.4%.
To create a discount
- From the main menu, click Settings > Discounts> + New Discount.
- From Type, select either Fixed or Percent.
NOTE: Fixed dollar discounts can only be applied to individual items and not to an entire sale.
- Click Save Changes to display the settings for the type of discount you're creating.
- Enter a discount name.
- Enter discount amount in percent % off or $ amount off.
- Select Require Customer to require that a customer is attached to a sale for the discount to be applied.
- Click Save.