Credit accounts are a great way to extend credit limits to your customers. By doing so, customers can pay for sales with their credit account until their credit limit is reached. Once they've reached their credit limit, they'll need to make payments towards their balance due to continue using their credit accounts.
If you'd rather not extend credit limits to your customers, simply keep them set to $0.00. Your customers will still be able to pay for sales with their credit accounts, however, they'll need to add a deposit before doing so. Adding deposits to credit accounts is also useful if you require customers to pay for items on layaway or special order in advance (whether partially or in full). Should a customer no longer need the items you've reserved or ordered on their behalf, you can refund their deposits just as easily.
To see which credit accounts have a balance due (debt) or deposits, navigate to Customers > Credit Accounts.
To create a credit account:
- From the main menu, click Customers > Customers.
- In the Customer field, type your customer's searchable details. You can also use the available filters to narrow your search results.
- Click the customer you want to create a credit account for.
- From the left menu, click Account.
- Under the Create Primary Account section, click + Create Account Now.
- Optionally, ener an amount in the Credit Limit field.
- Click Save Changes.