With discount rules, you can create discount types that either remove a percentage (%) or a fixed amount ($) off the retail price. For example, you can create a "Buy One, Get One Free" (BOGO) discount. You can also create discount rules ahead of time so that they apply to items automatically at checkout for a specific period of time (e.g. a monthly promotion).
To help you create promotions that meet your specific business need, here are the discount types that we currently support:
- Buy X quantity from a group of items, get Y discount on the item with the lowest price (buy one, get one discount)
- E.g. "Buy 3 candles, get 1 candle free"
- Buy X quantity of from a group of items, get Y discount on all items
- E.g. "Buy 4 bottles of wine, get $2.00 off each bottle"
- Buy X quantity of the same item, get Y discount on the item (bulk discount)
- E.g. "Buy 10 cans of cat food, get $2.00 off"
You can also create tiered discounts by creating multiple discount rules. For example, your first discount rule could be "Buy 2 candles, get 25% off" and the second could be "Buy 3 candles, get 50% off".
To create a discount rule:
- From the main menu, go to Settings > Price & Discount Rules.
- Select +New Rule.
- Next to Discount rule, select +Create.
- Under Discount timing and customers, enter a name for your discount rule (e.g. "Buy 1 Candle, Get 1 Free"). It'll appear in the sale and on the sales receipt.
- Optionally, select the specific location(s) you want your discount rule to apply to.
- Select the start date of your discount rule. This is necessary for the price rule to work.
- Optionally, select Set end date followed by your discount rule's end date. It will disable at the end of the day you select.
- Optionally, select the specific customer type(s) you want your discount rule to apply to.
- Under Customer buys, in the Quantity field, enter the minimum amount of eligible items that must be added to the sale for the discount rule to apply. For example, enter 2 if you're creating a "Buy 1 Candle, Get 1 Free" discount.
- Optionally, if a customer must buy the same item in bulk, select Must be the same.
Note: You must enter a quantity of at least 2 to enable this checkbox.
- Under Customer gets, select Discount on one item - the least expensive or Equal discount on each item.
- In the Discount amount (%, $), enter the amount you want to remove from the retail price.
- From the Discount type drop-down, select % off or $ off.
- Select Save Changes. A new area where you can add items will display.
- Under Add items or Add multiple items, do an item search to add the item(s) you want the discount rule to apply to.
Once you added your items, you're all set! They'll be listed on the left-hand side of the page. You'll just need to make sure that the DISCOUNTABLE checkboxes of your items are selected. This makes them eligible for the discount rule (and discounts in general). Then, once the start date of your discount rule arrives, Retail POS will automatically discount your items for you at checkout when the discount rule applies.