When refunding items that are part of discount rules, you need to follow a recommended workflow in this specific scenario:
- Your customer is returning an item that was part of a discount rule
- Returning that item would mean that they no longer meet the minimum quantity for the discount rule to still apply
The recommended workflow is essentially an exchange and involves:
- Refunding all the items that were part of the discount rule
- On the same transaction, re-selling the item that was part of the discount rule and that the customer is keeping
For example, if a customer bought 4 candles, got 1 of them for free because of a "Buy 3 candles, get 1 free" discount rule, and only wanted to keep 1 candle, you would:
- Refund your customer for all 4 candles
- On the same transaction, re-sell 1 candle to them at full price
To refund your customer with this recommended workflow:
- From the main menu, select Sales > Refund.
- Scan your customer's receipt. Alternatively, find the original sale in the sales history view.
- In the REFUND tab, select Refund next to the item your customer is returning. Do the same for all the items that were part of the discount rule as well.
- In the SALE tab, add the items that were part of the discount rule and that your customer is keeping. Because the customer no longer meets the minimum quantity for the discount rule to still apply, the items will be sold at their full price.
Once you've added the item(s) to the SALE tab, the register will calculate the difference between the SALE and REFUND tabs. The Total amount will be negative if you need to refund your customer and positive if you need to take a payment from them. From there, finish the exchange as you typically would for a sale or refund.