This article explains how to:
- Configure your Lightspeed Payments gateway
- Set up your EMV-enabled Verifone MX915 payment terminal
The main setup steps involved are:
- Connecting the Verifone MX915 to your network
- Configuring Lightspeed Payments
- Adding the Verifone MX915
- Processing a test transaction
Before you begin
Before setting up your payment processing with the Verifone MX915, please gather the following box contents and note the following gateway features:
What you'll need
- Verifone MX915 terminal
- Communications Module
- 12V power adapter
- Ethernet cable
- Manually entering a customer's credit card is possible during a transaction via the MX915. For more information, please see our Manually processing credit cards with Lightspeed Payments article.
- If your customer's card has insufficient credit or funds to cover a payment, Lightspeed Retail will partially approve the payment and charge the maximum available amount on the card if Allow Partial Approvals is enabled in your Lightspeed Payments gateway settings. For more information, please see our Making a sale with Lightspeed Payments article.
- Removing a payment processed by Lightspeed Payments from an in-progress sale will void it and refund your customer's debit or credit card. However, voiding a completed Lightspeed Payments sale will delete the sale and its associated payment from your reporting but it won't return funds to your customer's debit or credit card. To return items to inventory and refund your customer's card, we recommend refunding the Lightspeed Payments sale instead of voiding it.
1. Connect the Verifone MX915 terminal to your network
Your MX915 terminal requires power and internet access.
- Insert the Communications Module into the top of the terminal such that the tabs face outwards. The tabs will click into place when the module is fully inserted.
- Connect the 12V power adapter and the ethernet cable to the now installed Communications Module.
- Connect the other end of the ethernet cable to an ethernet port on your router.
- Connect the other end of the 12V power adapter to a power source.
Once the terminal is plugged in, it will power on automatically and begin its boot-up sequence, ending in an activation code screen. You'll use this code to pair the terminal with your account and it will remain onscreen until you do.
If you have any questions regarding connecting your terminal to your network, please contact Lightspeed Support for further hardware assistance.
2. Configure Lightspeed Payments
- Open the Retail POS app.
- Enter your username and password and tap Sign In.
- From the Manager tab, tap Settings > Payment Processing.
- From the Lightspeed Payments banner, tap Configure.
- Under SECURITY OPTIONS, enable Allow Credits if you want to be able to make a refund to a credit or debit card if a customer doesn't have a sales invoice.
Note: When you do this type of refund, you must swipe the card for the refund to take effect. Manually entering credit or debit card numbers isn't supported.
- Under ALLOW PARTIAL APPROVALS, enable Allow Partial Approvals if you want to be able to partially approve a payment and charge the maximum available amount if your customer's card has insufficient credit or funds to cover the full payment.
- Under CREDIT CARD MAPPING, for each of the credit and debit card types, select how the corresponding card type will appear on sales receipts and sales reports. For example, if you created a custom Visa payment type, selecting it from the drop-down list for Visa will mark all Visa sales as Visa.
Note: You'll continue to use the Card or Credit button during a sale. Your terminal will automatically detect the kind of card used and register the sale in your system according to these mappings.
- At the top-left of the screen, tap Save Changes.
- Navigate to Settings > Shop Setup > select your shop > select Credit Card .
- From the Payment Gateway drop-down menu, select the appropriate Lightspeed Payments gateway.
- At the top-left of the screen, tap Save Changes.
- At the top-right of the screen, tap Done to return to the Manager screen.
3. Add the Verifone MX915
Lightspeed Retail is designed to save all the terminals that you've added to Lightspeed Payments in a shared list between your computers and iPads. This facilitates terminal setups in the future if you use Lightspeed Retail on multiple devices. If terminals are removed from your Lightspeed Retail account using your computers or the Retail Manager mode on your iPads, the list is updated on all your devices.
To add the Verifone MX915 terminal:
- On the Profile screen, under Devices, tap Payment terminal.
- Tap Add payment terminal...
- Enter the terminal's Name and tap Next.
- Enter the Activation Code displayed on the terminal's white idle screen.
- Enter the terminal's Terminal ID (optional) and tap Next.
- Once the terminal is successfully paired, tap Done. A checkmark should appear to the left of the terminal's name to indicate the connection between your iPad and terminal was successful.
- Tap Done to return to the Profile screen.
Your payment terminal should now display on the Profile screen.
4. Process a test transaction
- On the Profile screen, tap New Sale.
- Scan or search an item to add it to the sale.
- Tap Card.
- Process a credit or debit card at your terminal.
- Once the screen displays Payment Successful, tap Finish Sale.
You're now ready to accept credit and debit card payments from your customers with Lightspeed Payments!
Along with paying for a sale with a credit or debit card, Lightspeed Payments supports many other payment features. We recommend you explore the articles below to familiarize yourself with them: