This article explains how to:
- Configure your Cayan gateway
- Set up your EMV-enabled Verifone MX915 payment terminal
The main setup steps involved are:
- Connecting the Verifone MX915 to your network
- Configuring your Cayan gateway
- Adding the Verifone MX915
- Processing a test transaction
What you'll need
Before setting up your payment processing with the Verifone MX915, you need to take out the following from the box your terminal was shipped in. You'll also need your Cayan POS credentials.
- Verifone MX915 terminal
- Communications Module
- 12V power adapter
- Ethernet cable
Cayan POS credentials
To configure Cayan as a payment gateway in Retail POS, you need your Cayan POS credentials:
- Transaction Key
- Site ID
Cayan typically emails POS credentials to their merchants. If you never received your POS credentials, please contact Cayan.
1. Connect the Verifone MX915 terminal to your network
Your MX915 terminal requires power and internet access.
- Insert the Communications Module into the top of the terminal such that the tabs face outwards. The tabs will click into place when the module is fully inserted.
- Connect the 12V power adapter and the ethernet cable to the now installed Communications Module.
- Connect the other end of the ethernet cable to an ethernet port on your router.
- Connect the other end of the 12V power adapter to a power source.
Once the terminal is plugged in, it will power on automatically and begin its boot-up sequence, ending in a Genius by Cayan idle screen.
If you have any questions regarding connecting your terminal to your network, please contact Lightspeed Support for further hardware assistance.
2. Configure your Cayan gateway
- Open the Retail POS app.
- Enter your username and password and tap Sign In.
- From the Manager tab, tap Settings > Payment Processing.
- Tap + Add Payment Gateway.
- From the Gateway drop-down list, select Cayan. The options for the gateway should display.
- Under Assign a Name, enter a name for the gateway.
- Under Gateway Credentials, enter your Cayan POS credentials (Name, Transaction Key, and Site ID).
Note: We recommend copying and pasting your credentials. If you do, also make sure that there are no leading or trailing spaces in the fields.
- If you have a multi-store account, under Select Shops, select all the shops that will use the gateway.
- Under Security Options, select Allow Credits if you want to be able to make a refund to a credit or debit card if a customer doesn't have a sales invoice.
Note: When you do this type of refund, you must swipe the card for the refund to take effect. Manually entering credit or debit card numbers isn't supported.
- Under Credit Card Mapping, for each of the credit and debit card types, select how the corresponding card type will appear on sales receipts and sales reports. For example, if you created a custom Visa payment type, selecting it from the drop-down list for Visa will mark all Visa sales as Visa.
Note: You'll continue to use the Card or Credit button during a sale. Your terminal will automatically detect the kind of card used and register the sale in your system according to these mappings.
- At the top-left of the screen, tap Save.
- At the top-right of the screen, tap Done to return to the Manager screen.
3. Add the Verifone MX915
Lightspeed Retail POS is designed to save all the terminals that you've added to your Cayan gateway in a shared list between your computers and iPads. This facilitates terminal setups in the future if you use Lightspeed Retail POS on multiple devices. If terminals are removed from your Lightspeed Retail POS account using your computers or the Manager tab on your iPads, the list is updated on all your devices.
To add the Verifone MX915 terminal, you first need the terminal's IP address:
- Make sure the terminal is on the Genius by Cayan idle screen. If it isn't, press the X (cancel) key.
- On the terminal's keypad, press 000.
- Press 9416557.
- Record the IP address.
- To return to the Genius by Cayan idle screen, press the X (cancel) key.
Once you have the terminal's IP addess, add the terminal in Retail POS:
- On the Profile screen, under Devices, tap Payment terminal.
- Tap Add payment terminal...
- Enter the terminal's IP address and tap Next.
- Enter the terminal's name and tap Next.
- Enter the terminal's Terminal ID (optional) and tap Next. A checkmark should appear to the left of the terminal's name to indicate the connection between your iPad and terminal was successful.
- Tap Done to return to the Profile screen.
Your payment terminal should now display on the Profile screen.
4. Process a test transaction
- On the Profile screen, tap New Sale.
- Scan or search an item to add it to the sale.
- Tap Card.
- Process a credit or debit card at your terminal.
- Once the screen displays Payment Successful, tap Finish Sale.
You're now ready to accept credit and debit card payments from your customers with Cayan!
Along with paying for a sale with a credit or debit card, Cayan supports many other payment features. We recommend you explore the articles below to familiarize yourself with them: