You can process a refund/exchange in POS mode or Manager mode.
In POS mode
1. Find the sale to refund.
Tap Menu > Sales History.
NOTE: You can also tap New Refund to view sales for the current day.
- To locate the sale to refund you can:
- swipe down to manually find the sale
- enter the Sale ID
- search for the customer by first or last name
- scan a receipt barcode
Tap the sale and then tap Refund.
2. Select items to refund.
- Select the item(s) to refund, and then tap Done.
- If more than one quantity of the selected item(s) was originally purchased, the original quantity is automatically selected for refund. If required, adjust the quantity of the item(s) to refund by tapping the minus icon.
3. Add items to the sale (optional).
- Locate the item:
- Scanning an item barcode: Scan the product barcode. Lightspeed Retail POS will search your inventory for a match. If there’s only one item match, the item is automatically added to the sale. If your scan yields more than one item, go to step 2. Otherwise, proceed to step 3.
- Searching for a product manually: Use the Search screen. See Searching for products.
Add an item to the sale by tapping the + icon for the desired item. If the Search screen is set to Thumbnail mode, you must tap the desired item to access the Add to Sale icon.
NOTE: You can remove an item by left-swiping it and tapping Delete.
If required, adjust the item quantity by tapping the + or - icon.
- If you are selling a serialized item, below the item description tap Add Serial Number.
- Select the serial number: If serial numbers were previously added to a serialized item in Lightspeed Retail, tap the arrow icon to show all serial numbers associated to the item and tap a number.
- Scan the serial number: Tap the S/N field and scan the serial number barcode.
- Create a serial number: When you create a serial number it is automatically added to the item in Lightspeed Retail. To create a new serial number tap the S/N field and enter the serial number.
4. Modify the sale (optional).
You can modify specific items or the entire sale. If you apply sale parameters to the entire sale, you can override the parameters for an individual line item.
You can apply a discount to all line items in the sale, or change the employee that's associated to the entire sale.
Tap the Edit icon.
- Tap Discounts or Set Employee, and then tap the desired option.
Individual line items
You can change a line item's quantity, sell price, discount, associated employee, and set the item as either taxed or non-taxed.
Swipe left the line item that you want to modify, and then tap Edit.
Tap Quantity, Price, Discount, Tax Class, or Employee, and then tap the desired option, or tap the Taxed button to enable/disable the tax for the line item.
5. Process payment.
You can use any of the payment types available in your account to process a refund payment.
NOTE: If you're using a MagTek iDynamo card reader, swiping a credit card from the Sale screen or Payment screen will automatically bring up the credit card payment screen without having to select the Credit Card payment type.
Tap the payment type for the refund. Tap the payment type, and then enter the payment. For detailed instructions on the various payment methods see Payments.
NOTE: You can split the payment between different payment types. You can delete a pending payment by swiping the payment left, and then tapping Delete.
Do one or more of the following:
- Adjust the refund amount if required.
- Select the credit card that was used for the original purchase and then tap Save, or tap Refund Other Card to refund to a different card.
NOTE: The Allow Credits credit card option in the shop settings must be enabled in order to refund to a credit card other than the one that was used for the original purchase.
If you're refunding to a different card, tap Start Payment to send the payment to a payment terminal for completion by the customer, or swipe the card using the attached card reader and then tap Save.
NOTE: If you're using a payment terminal the payment is automatically processed once the payment is accepted regardless of if the sale is finalized. If you don’t finalize the sale by clicking Finish Sale, the payment is seen as a partial payment in Lightspeed Retail. You can run the Partial payment report to view a list of all payments that were processed but are attached to incomplete sales.
Adjust the amount to refund if required, and then tap Save.
Tap Finish Sale.
If the Automatically Print Receipt option is enabled in the receipt printer settings (see Setting up a Star TSP100 (LAN) on your iPad), the receipt prints automatically when the sale is finalized.
6. Print or email receipt.
You can print a sale or gift receipt, or email the sale receipt to your customer. You can also do so for a completed sale, along with printing a full-page sale and gift receipts via AirPrint, from the Sales History screen (see About the Sales History screen on your iPad).
NOTE: If the Automatically Print Receipt option is enabled in the receipt printer settings (see Setting up a Star TSP100 (LAN) on your iPad), the receipt prints automatically when the sale is finalized.
Once the payment is processed, choose one of the following:
- Print Receipt: Tap Print Receipt to print the receipt.
- Email Receipt: Tap Email Receipt, enter the customer email address, and then tap Send.
- Print Gift Receipt: Tap Print Gift Receipt to print the receipt without the item prices and sale total.
In Manager mode
Tap Retail Manager from the Main Menu.
Tap Sales and process the refund/exchange as you would in the Web Interface. Click here to view the Web POS documentation.