We have developed a new gift card feature that can be used in both Retail and eCom. Depending on your past gift card usage, you may have either the new gift card version or the original gift card version.
To help avoid confusion, each gift card article contains one of these messages at the top, linking to this article:
- ⚠️ Original - These instructions only apply to the original Lightspeed gift card version.
- ✅ New - These instructions only apply to the new Lightspeed gift card version.
Here's also a table to help you understand what's supported with the original and new gift card versions:
|Original version||New version||Note|
|Refunding a purchased gift card||✅||❌||The industry standard does not permit refunds for purchased gift cards.|
|Single-purpose vouchers||❌||❌||In the EU, single-purpose vouchers charge the applicable specific product taxes so that the gift card can be used to purchase the same specific items at a later date. This is not supported.|
|Using a gift card in an eCom store||❌||✅ *||*When using multi-step checkout, customers will only be able to enter the gift card number in the cart.|
You should have access to the new version automatically if you:
- Only have an eCom store, not connected to a Retail point of sale
- Have a Retail account that was created after June 23, 2021
- Have never used the original gift card features
New versions can be identified by looking at the gift card settings.
- In your Retail account or eCom admin, select Customers.
- Select Gift cards.
- You have the new version if your screen looks like either:
Your original gift card features are preserved if you used them in your Retail account before June 23, 2021. With the original gift card features in Retail, a connected eCom store will still not support gift cards until you transition to the new gift card version. To make sure this transition runs as smoothly as possible for you and your customers, we're currently working on transitioning all pre-existing gift cards and information into the new system for you. We'll notify you once the new gift card version is enabled in your account.
The original gift card version can be identified by looking at the gift card settings.