Offering discounts of different types is important because customers look for them and actively use them when purchasing items. The "Buy One, Get One Free" discount is one of the most popular and you can create it with discount rules in Retail POS. To illustrate, here's how you can create a "Buy 1 Candle, Get 1 Free" discount rule:
- From the main menu, go to Settings > Price & Discount Rules.
- Select +New Rule.
- Next to Discount rule, select +Create.
- Under Discount timing and customers, enter the name "Buy 1 Candle, Get 1 Free". It'll appear in the sale and on the sales receipt.
- Optionally, select the specific location(s) you want your discount rule to apply to.
- Select the start date of your discount rule. This is necessary for the price rule to work.
- Optionally, select Set end date followed by your discount rule's end date.
- Optionally, select the specific customer type(s) you want your discount rule to apply to.
- Under Customer buys, in the Quantity field, enter 2.
- Optionally, if a customer must buy the same candle in bulk, select Must be the same.
Note: You must enter a quantity of at least 2 to enable this checkbox.
- Under Customer gets, select Discount on one item - the least expensive.
- In the Discount amount (%, $), enter 100.
- From the Discount type drop-down, select % off.
- Select Save Changes. A new area where you can add items will display.
- Under Add items or Add multiple items, do an item search to add the candle(s) you want the discount rule to apply to.
Once you added your items, you're all set! They'll be listed on the left-hand side of the page. You'll just need to make sure that the DISCOUNTABLE checkboxes of your items are selected. This makes them eligible for the discount rule (and discounts in general). Then, once the start date of your discount rule arrives, Retail POS will automatically discount your items for you at checkout when the discount rule applies.