The Item Import tool handles matrix items differently than normal singles and non-inventory items. Here is a full outline on how the Item Import tool handles matrix items upon creating and updating them.
Considerations upon creating matrix items
- Matrix items with new Attributes (1-3) can be created through an import.
Considerations upon updating matrix items
- Matrix Description cannot be updated.
- The following fields can be updated on matrix items. Changing these fields will update every variant in the matrix:
- Subcategory 1-9
- Tax Class
- Taxable (true/false)
- Item Type (Single/Non-Inventory/Assembly)
- Serialized (true/false)
- The following fields can be updated on a matrix item. Changing these fields will update the individual variant in the matrix:
- Custom SKU
- Manufacturer SKU
- Online Price
- Default Cost
- Vendor ID
- Publish to eCom
- Matrix Attribute Set cannot be updated (for example: changing Color to Color/Size)
- Attributes (1-3) cannot be updated or removed.
- Matrix items can be Archived, but archiving variants will not archive the matrix itself.
- Matrix items cannot be updated to be removed from a matrix.
- Items that are not in a matrix cannot be updated to be added to a matrix.
If you've followed articles Step 1 - Preparing your CSV file and 1 a) Understanding the CSV file, save the file in CSV format. Make sure that you do not save the file in the default file format of the application you're using to edit the file. Afterwards, continue to article: