To import inventory items via our Retail Imports team, please refer to this article.
The Item Import tool extracts your inventory data from an import file (CSV or Excel file) that you create and that you then upload to the Item Import tool. Depending on whether you're an Omnichannel merchant (Retail with eCom) or not (Retail only), Lightspeed provides sample CSV files to get you started. You can download your sample file directly from the Item Import tool's welcome screen or when you launch an import operation.
NOTE: Lightspeed Retail automatically detects if you have an eCom store or not, as the Retail with eCom sample file contains columns specific to Omnichannel accounts.
The CSV files contain a set of columns that you populate with item information for each of the items that you want to import or update. You must format the information in each column in a specific way. For more information, see 1 a) Understanding the import file and 1 b) Considerations when creating or updating matrix items.
During the import operation, the Item Import tool validates the contents of your import file and provides you with detailed information about any errors it discovers in the file. This includes any corrective actions that you'll need to take before relaunching an import.
In this topic
Please note the following before importing your products:
- About the Item Import tool:
- The Item Import tool only supports importing items using a CSV or Excel file.
- The Item Import tool imports up to 1000 items per operation. If you have more than 1000 items, you can split the import into multiple operations. For example, if you are importing 1500 items, you can split the import into 2 import files of 750 products each.
- Only 1 import operation can run at a time per account.
- Once an import operation completes, the process cannot be undone.
- The type of inventory items you can import:
- Single items
- Non-Inventory items
- Matrix items (up to 3 attribute sets)
- Assembly items
- Box items
- Any item type marked as Serialized
- What you can't import:
- Custom Fields
- From your Retail account, download the sample CSV file in one of the following ways:
- Inventory > Import Items > Download a template CSV
- Inventory > Import Items > New Import > Download Template CSV
NOTE: If you are updating your existing items, you may want to start by exporting your Retail inventory instead. This way, your CSV file will have each item's System ID, UPC, EAN, Manufacturer SKU or Custom SKU for the Item Import tool to match on.
- Open the file in a spreadsheet editor, such as LibreOffice (free and recommended), Microsoft Excel, Apple Numbers, or OpenOffice.
NOTE: If you use OpenOffice, make sure to set the file import Separator Options to Comma-separated when opening the CSV file (File > Open > Text Import > Separator Options > Separated by > Comma). The default settings for OpenOffice result in formatting issues in the CSV file.
- Enter your item information in the columns of the CSV file.
NOTE: For more information on how to format the information in each column , see 1 a) Understanding the import file and 1 b) Considerations when creating or updating matrix items.
- Save the file in CSV, XLS or XLSX format.
NOTE: Make sure that you do not save the file in the default file format of the application you're using to edit the file as only the above file formats are compatible with the Item Import tool.