Private Release: The triPOS integration with Lightspeed Retail is currently being tested with a private group of accounts. If you would like to participate in our private release, please contact Lightspeed Support.
Making a sale in Lightspeed Retail with triPOS involves:
- Opening a sale
- Attaching a customer to the sale
- Adding items to the sale
- Modifying the sale (optional)
- Processing a payment
- Printing or emailing the receipt (optional)
For instructions on how to make a sale in the POS mode of your Retail POS app, please see Making a sale on your iPad.
NOTE: The video tutorial above doesn't include the Cash and Credit Quick Pay buttons that the Vantiv triPOS gateway supports. You'll find information on these 2 Quick Pay buttons in the 5. Processing a payment section below.
To begin, you can either start a new sale or continue an in progress sale that wasn't completed.
New sale: From the main menu, click Sales > New Sale.
In progress sale: From the main menu, click Sales > Continue Sale. From the Sales section and under RECENT ACTIVITY, you can also click the shopping cart icon next to the in progress sale or click View All to find and continue other in progress sales.
Attaching customers to sales is recommended to easily locate a sale for a refund, to perform a targeted marketing campaign and for your general reporting purposes. Attaching customers to sales is also important for your Retail account to recognize if they have a discount or sales tax applied to their customer account or their customer type. Depending on your settings, a customer may actually be required in order to process a sale using a specific payment type or discount.
Existing customer: Type your customer's searchable details in the Search Customer field and click Search. If the searchable details aren't a unique match, click the Attach To Sale button next to your existing customer. You can also click Search, use the available filters to narrow your search results and click the Attach To Sale button next to your existing customer.
- New customer: Click + New, enter your customer's details and click Attach To Sale.
NOTE: If a new customer account is created for an already existing customer, the customer will now have duplicate customer accounts. To avoid duplicates, we recommend searching for a customer before creating a new one. If you do have multiple accounts for the same customer, you can merge them into one customer account.
The general workflow of adding items to a sale involves:
- Locating the items
- Selecting or creating serial numbers (if required)
- Adjusting the quantity of each item (optional)
- Removing items (optional)
Along with adding items to a sale, you can also sell or recharge gift cards.
- Locate the items:
Existing items: Scan or enter your item's searchable details in the Item field and click Search. You can scan or search for items by their Description, UPC, EAN, Manufacturer SKU, Custom SKU, System ID or Vendor ID. You can also click Search, use the available filters to narrow your search results and click the + Add button next an existing item. If you're adding multiple items at a time, select their checkboxes and click + Add Selected at the bottom of the search results instead.
NOTE: To view a line item's images, click the line item in the sale and click its description to go to the item's details. This is usefully if you want to confirm that you added the correct item to the sale.
- New items: Click the + New menu button, enter your item's details and click Add to Sale.
Gift cards: Click the Gift Card menu button, enter an Amount, scan or enter the gift card number and click Create Gift Card. The amount will be added to the new or existing gift card once the sale is completed.
- If you added a serialized item to the sale, under its description, choose one of its existing serial numbers or create a new one:
Existing serial number: From the Choose Serial Number drop-down, select an existing serial number.
Create a serial number: Click Add New Serial and scan or enter a Serial Number, Color and Size.
Optionally, adjust the quantity of the items in the sale by:
- scanning each additional item individually.
- scanning one of the additional items multiple times.
- entering the quantity in the item's QTY. field.
If you need to remove items from the sale, click the trash icon to left of their descriptions.
In just a few clicks, you can modify individual items or the entire sale. If you plan on modifying both, we recommend modifying the entire sale beforehand so you don't overwrite your individual modifications.
Modifying the entire sale
You can apply a discount, a sales tax or an employee to all the line items in a sale. If you're using the Line Employee report to calculate employee commissions, applying an employee will assign all line items to them.
Under the line items, click one of the buttons at the bottom right of the register:
- Apply Employee
- Apply Discount
- Set Tax
Depending on your modification, select the employee, discount or sales tax from the available drop-down.
To apply your modification, click one of the buttons below:
- Set Employee on all Sale Lines
- Apply Discount
- Save Sales Tax
Modifying individual line items
You can change a line item's quantity, price, discount, tax class, associated employee and set the item as either taxable or non-taxable. If a customer is attached to the sale, you can move the item to the Layaway or Special Order tab in the register if you want to either reserve the item or order more quantities for them.
Click the item's description.
Enter, scan or select your desired modifications:
- Quantity: Enter a different quantity or scan additional items in the Qty. field.
- Price: Enter a new price in the Price field.
- Discount: Select a discount from the Discount drop-down.
- Tax: Enable or disable the Tax checkbox to mark the item as taxable or non-taxable.
- Tax Class: Select a tax class from the Tax Class drop-down.
- Employee: Select an employee from the Employee drop-down. If you're using the Line Employee report to calculate employee commissions, this will assign the item to the selected employee.
You can use any of the payment types configured in Settings > Payment Types section of your account to process a payment. You also have 2 additional Cash and Card Quick Pay buttons for customers who want to pay for their sale in full by cash, credit or debit.
Processing a Cash payment with Quick Pay
If your customer is paying for the entire sale in cash:
From the payment screen, click Cash.
Enter the amount of cash your customer has handed you by clicking the cash denomination buttons, entering the amount or clicking the MAX button. The Balance amount indicates whether you need additional cash from your customer or owe your customer change.
- Click Finish Sale.
Processing a Card payment with Quick Pay
If your customer is paying for the entire sale with a credit or debit card:
- From the payment screen, click Card.
Select a terminal.
- Click Start Payment.
Process the credit or debit card at the terminal. If the payment is successful, the sale completes automatically.
Processing all payment types
If your customer is using a combination of payment types or paying for the entire sale with a different payment type than Cash or Card:
- Depending on your customer's payment type(s), enter or process an amount:
Cash: Enter the amount of cash your customer has handed you by clicking the cash denomination buttons, entering the amount or clicking the MAX button. The Change amount under the amount field displays how much cash you owe your customer.
Credit/Debit: Click Credit/Debit, enter an amount, select a terminal, click Start Payment and process the card at the terminal. If you're processing the cards manually at the terminal, please see Manually processing credit cards with triPOS' Verifone MX 915 - Private Release
Gift Card: Click Gift Card, scan or enter the gift card number, enter an amount that doesn't exceed the card's current balance and click Charge. For more information, please see Accepting gift cards.
Account: Enter an amount that doesn't exceed the account's available credit or click MAX. For more information, please see Making payments to customer accounts
Other: Enter the amount or click Max next to the associated payment type.
Click Finish Sale.
Once a sale is completed, you can either print the sale receipt, print the gift receipt or email the sale receipt to your customer.
- Print receipt: Click Print Receipt to print the receipt.
- Email Receipt: Click Email Receipt, enter your customer's email address in the To Email Address field and click Email Receipt.
- Print Gift Receipt: Click Print Gift Receipt to print the receipt without the item prices and sale total.
Unless you've selected the Disable Receipt Auto Printing checkbox in Settings > Shop Setup > Printing, the sale receipt print prompt automatically appears after clicking Finish Sale. You simply need to click Print from the print prompt and hand the receipt to your customer. To select a different receipt option, click Cancel from the print prompt to return to the register.
If you're planning to be ecological and only email receipts, we recommend selecting the Disable Receipt Auto Printing checkbox so you can select the Email Receipt option directly after finishing a sale.
Now that you know how to make a sale with the Vantiv triPOS gateway, we recommend you review and explore the articles below to continue familiarizing yourself with the different payment features that your gateway supports:
- To do a test transaction and learn how to view your payment details, see our Configuring payment processing article.
- To learn how to manually process credit cards with triPOS, click here.
- To learn how to add deposits, refund deposits and make payments to customer accounts, click here.
- To learn how to process refunds and exchanges, click here.
- To learn how to process voids, click here.