Making a sale in Lightspeed Retail with triPOS involves:
- Opening a sale
- Attaching a customer to the sale
- Adding items to the sale
- Modifying the sale (optional)
- Processing a payment
- Printing or emailing the receipt (optional)
For instructions on how to make a sale in the POS mode of your Retail POS app, please see Making a sale on your iPad.
NOTE: The video tutorial above doesn't include the Cash and Credit Quick Pay buttons that the Vantiv triPOS gateway supports. You'll find information on these 2 Quick Pay buttons below in step 5. Processing a payment.
To begin, you can either start a new sale or continue an in progress sale that hasn't been completed.
To start a new sale, from the main menu, click Sales > New Sale.
In progress sale
You can continue an in progress sale in 3 different ways:
- From the main menu, click Sales > Continue Sale.
- Click Sales and under RECENT ACTIVITY, click the shopping cart icon next to the in progress sale.
- Click Sales and under RECENT ACTIVITY, click View All to find and continue other in progress sales.
Attaching customers to sales is recommended:
- to easily locate a sale for a refund.
- to perform a targeted marketing campaign.
- for your general reporting purposes.
Attaching customers to sales is also important for your Retail account to recognize if they have a discount or sales tax applied to their customer account or their customer type. Depending on your settings, a customer may also be required to process a sale using a specific payment type or discount.
To attach a customer to the sale, you can either find an existing customer or create a new customer on the fly.
You can attach an existing customer to a sale by either entering their searchable details or using search filters.
To attach an existing customer using their searchable details:
- In the Search Customers field, type your customer's searchable details.
- Click Search. Your customer will attach to the sale if your searchable details have a unique match.
- If the searchable details don't have a unique match, click the Attach To Sale button next to your existing customer.
To attach an existing customer using search filters:
- To the right of the Search Customers field, click Search.
- Use the available filters to narrow your search results.
- Click the Attach To Sale button next to your existing customer.
If a new customer account is created for an already existing customer, the customer will now have duplicate customer accounts. To avoid duplicates, we recommend searching for an existing customer before creating a new one. If you do have multiple accounts for the same customer, you can merge them into one customer account.
- To the right of the Search Customers field, click + New.
- Enter your customer's details.
- Click Attach To Sale.
The general workflow of adding items to a sale involves:
- Locating the items
- Selecting or creating serial numbers (if required)
- Adjusting the quantity of each item (optional)
- Removing items (optional)
You can locate an existing item by using search filters or entering the following searchable details:
- Manufacturer SKU
- Custom SKU
- System ID
- Vendor ID
To locate an existing item using its searchable details:
- In the Item field, scan or enter your item's searchable details.
- Click Search. Your item will attach to the sale if your searchable details have a unique match.
- If the searchable details don't have a unique match, click the +Add button next to your item.
To locate an existing item using search filters:
- To the right of the Item field, click Search.
- Use the available filters to narrow your search results.
- Click the +Add button next to your item.
- If you're adding multiple items at a time, select their checkboxes and click + Add Selected at the bottom of the search results instead.
NOTE: To view a item's images, click the item in the sale and click its description to go to the item's details. This is useful if you want to confirm that you added the correct item to the sale.
- To the right of the Item field, click the + New menu button
- Enter your item's details.
- Click Add to Sale.
- To the right of the Item field, click the Gift Card menu button
- Enter an Amount.
- Scan or enter the gift card number.
- Click Create Gift Card. The amount will be added to the new or existing gift card once the sale is completed.
If you added a serialized item to the sale, under its description, choose one of its existing serial numbers or create a new serial number.
Existing serial number: From the Choose Serial Number drop-down, select an existing serial number.
Create a new serial number: Click Add New Serial and scan or enter a Serial Number, a Color and a Size.
Optionally, adjust the quantity of the items in the sale by:
- scanning each additional item individually.
- scanning one of the additional items multiple times.
- entering the quantity in the item's QTY. field.
If you need to remove items from the sale, click the trash icon to left of their descriptions.
In just a few clicks, you can modify the entire sale or the individual items. If you plan on modifying both, we recommend modifying the entire sale beforehand so you don't overwrite your individual modifications.
You can apply a discount, a sales tax or an employee to all the items in a sale. If you're using the Line Employee report to calculate employee commissions, applying an employee will assign all the items to them.
Under the items, click one of the buttons at the bottom right of the register:
- Apply Employee
- Apply Discount
- Set Tax
Depending on your modification, select the employee, discount or sales tax from the available drop-down.
To apply your modification, click one of the buttons below:
- Set Employee on all Sale Lines
- Apply Discount
- Save Sales Tax
You can change an item's quantity, price, discount, tax class, associated employee and set the item as either taxable or non-taxable. If a customer is attached to the sale, you can move the item to the Layaway or Special Order tab in the register if you want to either reserve the item or order more quantities for them.
Click the item's description.
Enter, scan or select your desired modifications:
- Quantity: Enter a different quantity or scan additional items in the Qty. field.
- Price: Enter a new price in the Price field.
- Discount: Select a discount from the Discount drop-down.
- Tax: Enable or disable the Tax checkbox to mark the item as taxable or non-taxable.
- Tax Class: Select a tax class from the Tax Class drop-down.
- Employee: Select an employee from the Employee drop-down. If you're using the Line Employee report to calculate employee commissions, this will assign the item to the selected employee.
You can use any of the following payment types configured in Settings > Payment Types section of your account to process a payment:
Depending on your cash drawer settings in Settings > General Options, its also important to note that the cash drawer could automatically open once your sale is finished.
If your customer is paying for the entire sale in cash:
From the payment screen, click Cash.
Enter the amount of cash your customer has handed you by clicking the cash denomination buttons, entering the amount or clicking the MAX button. The Balance amount indicates whether you need additional cash from your customer or owe your customer change.
- Click Finish Sale.
If your customer is paying for the entire sale with a credit or debit card:
- From the payment screen, click Card.
Select a terminal.
- Click Start Payment.
Process the credit or debit card at the terminal. If the payment is successful, the sale completes automatically.
With the Credit/Debit payment type, a customer has the choice to pay for the entire sale with their credit or debit card or pay for a part of the sale and use a combination of other payment types for the remaining balance.
- Click Credit/Debit.
- Enter an amount, select a terminal and click Start Payment.
- Process the card at the terminal.
If your customer's card has insufficient credit or funds to cover the payment, Lightspeed Retail will partially approve the payment and charge the maximum available amount on the card if Allow Partial Approvals is enable in your triPOS payment gateway settings. This is also true for card payments with Quick Pay. You can then click Back to Sale and your customer can pay for the balance with a different payment type. If they prefer, they can also choose to remove the credit or debit card payment and use a different payment type altogether. For more information on how to enable partial approvals, please see our Setting up payment processing with triPOS' Verifone MX 915 terminal article.
If you're processing the card manually at the terminal, please see Manually processing credit cards with triPOS' Verifone MX 915.
If your customer is using a combination of payment types or paying for the entire sale with a different payment type than Cash with Quick Pay, Card with Quick Pay or Credit/Debit:
- Depending on your customer's payment type(s), click the payment type(s) and enter or process an amount:
Cash: Enter the amount of cash your customer has handed you by clicking the cash denomination buttons, entering the amount or clicking the MAX button. The Change amount under the amount field displays how much cash you owe your customer.
Gift Card: Click Gift Card, scan or enter the gift card number, enter an amount that doesn't exceed the card's current balance and click Charge. For more information, please see Accepting gift cards.
Account: Enter an amount that doesn't exceed the account's available credit or click MAX. For more information, please see Making payments to customer accounts
Custom: Enter the amount or click Max next to the associated payment type.
Click Finish Sale.
Once you click Finish Sale, you can either print the receipt, print the gift receipt or email the receipt to your customer.
If the Disable Receipt Auto Printing checkbox is deselected in Settings > General Options > Printing, the receipt print prompt automatically appears after clicking Finish Sale. You simply need to click Print from the print prompt and hand the receipt to your customer. To select a different receipt option, click Cancel from the print prompt to return to the register.
If you're planning to be ecological and only email receipts, we recommend selecting the Disable Receipt Auto Printing checkbox so you can select the Email Receipt option directly after finishing a sale.
Printing the receipt
To print the receipt, click Print Receipt.
Printing the gift receipt
To print the gift receipt, click Print Gift Receipt.
Emailing the receipt
- Click Email Receipt.
- In the To Email Address field, enter your customer's email address
- Click Email Receipt.
Now that you know how to make a sale with the Vantiv triPOS gateway, we recommend you review and explore the articles below to continue familiarizing yourself with the different payment features that your gateway supports:
- To do a test transaction and learn how to view your payment details, see our Configuring payment processing article.
- To learn how to manually process credit cards with triPOS, click here.
- To learn how to add deposits, refund deposits and make payments to customer accounts, click here.
- To learn how to process refunds and exchanges, click here.
- To learn how to process voids, click here.