Discounts need to be added in Settings > Discounts before they can be manually assigned during a sale. You can add fixed or percent discounts. Both can be applied to individual sale items but only the percentage discounts can be applied to an entire sale. Optionally, you can select Require Customer to require that a customer be attached to the register at the time of the sale. This is helpful if you need to track which customers are given discounts in your reporting.
To add a discount:
- From the main menu, click Settings > Discounts> + New Discount.
- From the Type drop-down, select either Dollar or Percent.
- Click Save Changes to display the settings for the type of discount you're adding.
- Enter a discount name.
- Enter the discount amount (e.g. 20% or $10.00).
- Optionally, select Require Customer.
- Click Save Changes.
If you need to automate your discounts, you can do so in Settings > Price Rules. For example, you can add a End of Summer Sale price rule that applies a 20% discount on all your items.
For detailed instructions, please see our Creating price rules article.
Now that you have officially completed Lesson 1 - Account Settings, you have configured the account settings that are essential for your business needs and are ready to move on to: